GeoHazards Society (GHS) is a not-for-profit organisation working towards making the country´s most vulnerable communities safer from earthquakes and other hazards, through preparedness, mitigation and advocacy. Along with it´s international partner organisation, GeoHazards International (www.geohaz.org) ,the organisation has been working in partnership with government organizations and Corporate Sectors in conducting programmes on Community Preparedness, School Safety, Hospital Safety, engineers training programmes, business continuity planning etc. (Download GHS Brochure)
Central to GHS´s successful contribution to the field of disaster risk reduction(DRR) is the strong partnership with GHI and the group of core members who are specialists in the field with strong linkages to Government Organizations and civil society. Having worked towards risk mitigation for many years, GHS members have seen the effects of disasters and the difference made by prepareness and mitigation. GHS strives to encourage preparedness and mitigation at all levels of society including Government departments, schools, hospitals, corporate sector and communities at large.
To work towards making the country’s most vulnerable communities safer from earthquakes and other natural hazards, through preparedness, mitigation and advocacy.
Aims and Objectives:
- To work towards reducing death and suffering–particularly among children—due to natural hazards in the most vulnerable communities through advocacy, preparedness and mitigation.
- To reduce disaster losses by helping vulnerable communities recognize their risk and the methods to manage it.
- To identify and promote strategies, potential practices and programs that support comprehensive school safety.
- To educate communities and organise various kinds of awareness raising and training programmes regarding natural hazards and possible preparedness measures.
- To promote disaster safety in communities by developing awareness generation materials.
- To assist in building a safer and disaster resilient India by partnering with the Government in developing holistic, pro-active, multi-disaster and technology-driven strategies for disaster risk reduction through collective efforts of all Government Agencies and Non-Governmental Organisations.
A safer, disaster resilient India with self-reliant prepared communities whose development will not be affected by disastrous events.
Governing Principles/ Values:
• Leadership: lateral and from the front.
• Excellence: Strive hard to do we whatever we do.
• Professionalism: Follow the skills, methods and standards as per requirement.
• Accountability: for what we do and what we do not do.
• Neutrality: Service to all sectors of society irrespective of their category.
For latest news and photos about our activities please click the GHS Facebook link as below: